Welcome To Heather's Gardening Blog!

Everyone that knows me well knows that I just can't stop talking about my plants and gardens! I'm so enthusiastic about them that I will be completing the Master Gardener course this winter and opening my own gardening business in the Spring.







Thursday, December 23, 2010

Angel's Trumpet

                         Angel's Trumpet (Brugsmania)


Angel's Trumpet are one of the most amazing plants that I have grown. For several years I would page through plant catalogs and dream about ordering them. Though the plants are usually quite expensive to order. They are native to the subtropic regions of South America thus only grown as annuals or house plants in North America.

Last year I was lucky enough to find seeds available to order. Naturaly I did. I planted the seeds in my winter garden under grow lights. I wasn't sure that I was going to be lucky enough to actually grow them at first because they took over three weeks to germinate, but they did. They grow very slowly at first, but once they get going the grow incredibly fast. The three plants that I still have from those seeds are now taller than I am in less than a year~!

The buds are almost camoflouged within the large plant as they are exactly the same color as the foliage until they bloom. Their blooms could quite possibly be one of the most beautiful blooms I've seen. Thus, the common name of Angel's Trumpet. Their elongated bell shape can reach over a foot long on ten plus foot tall bushes, which typically are grown in tree form.

The seed pods that form after the flowers fade is equally amazing. Large round ball-shaped pods with thick spikes on them. Once the seeds mature the pod will burst, spreading the seeds. You can also propegate them by simply rooting a cutting in water!

All parts of the plant are poisonous and could be fatal so animals and humans, so use caution when growing around pets. I've seen it recommended to wear gloves when handling the plant.

If you have a safe place to grow and enjoy these plants I highly recommend them! They are quite the sight to behold.

No comments:

Post a Comment